At last week’s meeting of the Medford Ward 8 Democratic Committee, the membership voted unanimously to join the Medford Democratic City Committee in opposing this November’s ballot question 1. The question would eliminate the state income tax, costing the state approximately 40% of its annual revenue. The Coalition For Our Communities estimates that eliminating the state income tax would lead to the Medford Public Schools losing 71% of their state funding and the city losing over $10 million (65%) of its state funding. This would guarantee a dramatic increase in property taxes, major cuts in city and school programs, and a bunch of new taxes and fees at the state and local levels to help pay for the deficit.
This is a reckless idea, and the ward 8 committee strongly encourages all voters to vote no on question 1 in November. We also encourage you to help spread the word through phone banks, sign holding, and/or lawn signs.
Upcoming phone banks:
- Sunday, October 19, 6:00-8:00 pm, Regional Democratic Office, 148 Mass. Ave., Arlington (for info, call 781-316-2889)
- Wednesday, October 22, 6:30-8:30 pm, Somerville Community Corporation, 337 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- Monday, October 27, 6:30-9:00 pm, Ken Donnelly’s campaign office, 1185 Mass. Ave., Arlington (for info, call Ren Johns at 617-417-8141)
- Every Monday through Thursday, 5:00-9:00 pm, Neighbor to Neighbor, 8 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Boston
- Every Monday through Thursday, evenings, SEIU Local 509, 400 Talcott Ave, 2nd Floor, Watertown (for info, call Tom Barbera at 617-924-8509 ext. 546 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Weeknights, starting Tuesday, 5:30-8:30 pm, 101 Tremont St, Boston (for info, e-mail Rep. Paul Donato at email@example.com)
Upcoming stand-outs in need of sign holders (for more info, contact Ren Johns at 617-417-8141):
- Saturday, November 1, 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- Monday, November 3, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 4, any time during voting hours
If you are in need of lawn signs, please contact Ren Johns at 617-417-8141.